The thyroid gland is an organ of the endocrine system, which controls the metabolism in our body. We can say that the thyroid gland is conducting our lives, creates our mood and gives us good sleep. Currently, there is a growing number of people suffering from such diseases of the thyroid gland, such as enlargement of the thyroid gland, thyroid dysfunction, benign nodules or malignant tumors. Unfortunately, for the majority of thyroid disease patients, drug therapy is ineffective. The thyroid gland is a butterfly-shaped gland located inside the front of the lower neck. There is a need for surgical treatment. Thyroid gland removal is surgery to remove all or part of the thyroid gland.
Depending on the reason you are having your thyroid gland removed, the type of thyroidectomy you have will be either a:
- Total thyroidectomy, which removes the entire gland
- Subtotal or partial thyroidectomy, which removes part of the thyroid gland
You will have general anesthesia (asleep and pain-free) for this surgery. In rare cases, the surgery is done with local anesthesia and medicine to relax you. You will be awake, but pain-free.
Your doctor may recommend thyroid removal if you have any of the following:
- A small thyroid growth ( nodule or cyst)
- A thyroid gland that is so overactive it is dangerous (thyrotoxicosis )
- Cancer of the thyroid
- Noncancerous (benign) tumors of the thyroid that are causing symptoms
- Thyroid swelling ( nontoxic goiter ) that makes it hard for you to breathe or swallow
- You may also have surgery if you have an overactive thyroid gland and do not want to have radioactive iodine treatment, or you cannot be treated with antithyroid medicines.
Greek surgeons are among the best specialists using the latest treatment methods in the field of minimally invasive surgery of the thyroid gland. Operations are performed using a video endoscope apparatus, with drawing minimum incision (approximately 2cm.) which avoids postoperative complications and shortens the hospital stay of the patient and achieves the best cosmetic effect.
In medical clinics in Greece you can get a fast and accurate diagnosis and receive appropriate treatment in the world’s top professionals.
Specialists Medical Treatment Team GMTP are happy to help you organize your treatment clinics in Greece. With us you will get all sorts of help and support, including: the selection of a particular specialist and clinic translation of medical records, assistance in obtaining an entry visa, treatment organization, interpreters, accommodation not only in hospitals but also in comfortable apartments by the sea, and more.